GIS training and spatial education is an integral part of successful GIS implementation, enabling you to maximise the return on your software investment. Below are some frequently asked questions regarding GIS training at Esri Malaysia.
Frequently asked questions
- Where do I start with my training?
If you're new to GIS, start with ArcGIS 1: Getting Started. This course teaches what GIS technology is and what you can do with it. You will also look at basic ArcGIS tools.
If you're new to ArcGIS (but have some experience with GIS technology), start with ArcGIS 2: Essential Workflows, which explores the tools available within the software.
For more information on what courses might be suitable for you, view our training path.
- I have completed ArcGIS 1: Getting Started - which course should I take next?
- I have completed a training course. What is my next step?
To determine what course you should take next, view the Esri Malaysia training path. The training path contains the sequence of all our scheduled courses, to help ensure you’re taking the right course that’s best suited to your existing skill set and future goals.
If you're still not sure what course you should take next, please feel free to give our training team a call on (03) 5022 0122.
- Where will the scheduled training courses be held?
The scheduled courses are run at Esri Malaysia's training facility, located in its offices at Unit 3A-1, Level 3A, Tower 2B, UOA Business Park, No. 1 Jalan Pengaturcara U1/51A, Seksyen U1, 40150 Shah Alam, Selangor.
- What are the different types of training courses you run?
Esri Malaysia runs more than 15 scheduled training courses, covering all aspects of the ArcGIS platform.
In addition to scheduled training, we also offer flexible training solutions, including: onsite training, client exclusive courses and knowledge transfer session. Please contact us for more details.
- I have been using another GIS vendor's software for a while, what course would you suggest I take to get me started with the ArcGIS platform?
One of the most challenging elements when transitioning to a new software product is gaining a solid understanding of the terminology. ArcGIS 2: Essential Workflows provides a good introduction to the terminology used in ArcGIS.
Alternatively, contact us about our specialised courses to help transition you from another GIS platform.
- Do I need to bring anything to my training courses?
All material is provided at the training course – including computers and relevant software and manuals.
- Which software version is the course based on?
For scheduled training, the most current software release will be used for the course. Customised courses and onsite training can be conducted using any software version.
- I want to publish a map to the web, which course should I take?
ArcGIS 4: Sharing Content on the Web, and Designing Maps with ArcGIS are the best courses to take if you’d like to learn how to publish an online map.
- We are planning to convert our data to Geodatabases, which courses should I take?
Start with Building Geodatabases to get a basic understanding of the geodatabase format and its functionality.
This could be followed with Deploying and Maintaining a Multiuser Geodatabase, Implementing Versioned Workflows in a Multiuser Geodatabase and Distributing Data using Geodatabase Replication.